5 Reasons to Add Beaker Bongs to your Collection May 11, 2022
Best Ash Catchers of 2022 for Smoking Pleasure May 10, 2022
Top Selling Bongs
TOP SELLING PIPES
Best Ways to Clean Your Bong
Bongs have long been a popular device for smoking weed. These pieces can come in small, easy-to-use designs as well as larger, more ornate creations. Some smokers may even use their bong as a decoration in their home.
If you use a bong, do you remember the last time you cleaned it? This is an integral part of using a bong and may even be easier to do than you realize.
Why You Need to Clean Your Bong Regularly
Just like your car or home, your bong needs to be cleaned regularly to keep it in good working condition. While some people recommend cleaning your bong daily or after every use, at a minimum, you should clean your bong once a week. Not doing so can lead to an inadequate experience and even illness.
Yeasts and other microorganisms can develop in old, dirty bong water. Bacteria can also develop across the water’s surface. Inhaling these substances can cause respiratory issues and illness, making it imperative that you use clean bong water every time and keep your piece clean.
Not cleaning your bong can also affect the taste of the product you are using. Residue and particles from your previous weed can find themselves in your new product, changing the taste and the experience.
If you don’t regularly clean your bong (and you should start to), you can tell it’s time to clean it when:
- There is a ring at the waterline
- The bong water has become discolored and smelly
- The inside of the bong is coated in a film
- You see mold fuzz developing
- Black or white specks develop in the pipe’s walls
Overall, regularly cleaning your bong can keep it in good condition and make it easier to clean in general.
How to Clean Your Bong
Thankfully, cleaning your bong is easy. You can likely find most of the products you need to clean your bong in your home already. The method below works for bongs made of many different materials, making it a versatile and simple cleaning option.
Things you will need:
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Epsom salt
- Ziploc bags
- Rubber stoppers/bong plugs
Bong cleaning steps
Once you’ve gathered your cleaning materials, grab your bong, get to the sink, and get ready to clean.
- Remove the bowl and downstem and place them in their own Ziploc bags (this will prevent them from breaking when mixed with the larger pieces).
- Put your alcohol and some salt into the bag and zip it closed, ensuring that the pieces are fully submerged.
- Empty the bong water by dumping it out into the sink. (Though it may be tempting to some users, do not drink the bong water as you dump it out.)
- Pour alcohol and salt into the bong and let it sit for a minute.
- Use your rubber stopper or bong plug to seal the opening.
- Shake your bong; this causes the alcohol and salt to scrub the inside, removing residue.
- Rinse everything – including your downstem and bowl – with hot water. You may need to shake some water in the bong to get it thoroughly clean.
- Place everything on a towel to dry. Let it dry completely before you put it together to use again.
There you have it: an easy way to clean your bong!
There are other methods and products you can use to clean your bong as well. For example, some people find pipe-cleaner-like products helpful for scrubbing inside your bong. This can help remove built-up residue that is hard to remove on its own.
You can also use baking soda and vinegar to clean your bong. This involves filling your bong with warm water, dumping it out, and then adding baking soda. This method requires the bong to sit for several hours or even overnight before using more baking soda and vinegar to shake and clean the bong. Many people also find using a large brush to scrub the inside helpful.
Finally, some people prefer to utilize boiling water and lemon juice to clean their bong. To do this, users will:
- Empty the bong water
- Boil some water and add lemon juice to your bong
- Pour the boiling water into the bong
- Place a cap on it to seal the holes
- Shake the bong for about five minutes
- Pour it out and use warm water to rinse it
This method is effective, but boiling water brings a risk of burning yourself. Not only is the water hot, but it can warm up your glass bong, making it too hot to handle and leading to burned fingers. Use caution if you decide to clean your bong using this method.
Cleaning your bong is important for many reasons. Regular cleaning:
- Keeps your bong in good, working order
- Prevents bacteria and other harmful pathogens from forming
- Provides you with a smoother smoking experience
- Improves the taste of your weed by preventing cross-contamination
- Keeps your bong looking its best, which is essential if your bong is used as a decorative piece in addition to serving as a way to smoke weed
Experts recommend cleaning your bong at least once a week, but it’s an even better idea to clean it after use. Regularly cleaning your bong makes it easier to keep it clean, as it doesn’t allow hard build-up to form, which may take more scrubbing power to remove down the road.
Though there are multiple ways you can clean your bong, using rubbing alcohol, salt, and water is one of the most common and easiest cleaning methods out there.
If you have any questions about cleaning your bong, feel free to contact your retailer. Their staff can help you find the products you need to keep your bong in good condition and offer suggestions on how best to clean your particular bong.
Remember: Keeping your bong clean not only ensures a good smoking experience but is also a matter of health.