How to Use a Banger Nail
Concentrates and dabbing are relative newcomers to the cannabis industry. But dabbing is fast becoming one of the most popular ways to consume cannabis.
But this particular subset of the cannabis market can also be a little confusing—especially for those new to it. It requires special equipment to dab, but the benefits of dabbing are well worth the extra effort for many.
One crucial piece of equipment you will need to dab properly is a banger nail or nail. Let’s dive into what that is and why dabbing concentrates is so popular.
Dabbing in a Nutshell
First, let’s look at what dabbing is and the equipment required to do it.
Dabbing is a way of consuming cannabis concentrates that involves heating the concentrates to create vapor. Users will then inhale this vapor. Because you are inhaling vapor, many people find dabbing to be a smoother smoking experience than to smoke a joint or use other consumption methods.
You can’t dab without having a product to heat up and vaporize. For dabbing, users use cannabis concentrates. These are created by extracting the desired product (often THC but sometimes CBD) from the cannabis plant. The extract can come in different consistencies, which gives rise to the various names that concentrates have, such as:
In addition to creating a smoother smoking experience, dabbing offers many benefits.
First, concentrates are potent, often containing THC levels up to 90 percent. They provide users a strong high without needing to use a ton of products.
Second, dabbing is an effective way to ingest cannabis products. Users will get a near-immediate high, a benefit desired by many.
What Is a Banger Nail?
When dabbing, you’ll need a variety of equipment to do so. You’ll need:
- A dab rig is a pipe designed to vaporize concentrates. It works similarly to a bong in that it uses water in the base to create the vapor.
- A concentrate is a cannabis product that you can use in dabbing. Choose whichever you prefer, though sometimes wax or something similar is easier for beginners.
- A banger nail or a dab nail is where you heat the concentrate. You’ll learn the difference between a banger or a dab nail below.
- A dab tool is a long stick with a spoon-like end for picking up the concentrate and placing it on the nail.
- A torch is a device for heating the nail. Butane is recommended.
A dab nail, or just a nail, is an integral part of dabbing. It is what the concentrate is heated on and is heated. There are different types of dab nails, one of which is a banger nail.
A banger nail is more of an attachment placed on the rig and provides a larger surface for dabbers to work off of than just a typical dab nail does. Though banger nails can be made of different materials, there are three main types of banger nails or bangers. They are:
- Flat-top bangers
- Trough bangers
- Thermal bangers
Though you can likely guess what the first two bangers look like, thermal bangers may be a little more difficult to image. This particular type of banger has an internal cup with space between the inner and outer cup. This nail type allows people to dab at lower temperatures.
We mentioned earlier that bangers could be made of different materials. They can be made out of:
Though each material offers its benefits, quartz is the most popular type of banger out there. Quartz banger nails are budget-friendly and can handle the rapid temperature changes that come with dabbing. They can, however, break easier than other types when accidentally dropped. If you tend to be a bit clumsy, a more robust material like titanium might be a better option for you.
How to Use Banger Nails
If you are familiar with dabbing, using a banger nail is no different than using any other type of dab nail. You add the concentrate and heat it using your torch. But, we’ll go over how to dab in general for those who are new to it.
But, first, when you get your new banger, you’ll need to prepare it. To do this, you use your torch to heat your banger until it is glowing. Then let it cool back down. You may want to do this a few times to ensure any particles that should not be there have been burnt off.
Now, you’re ready to start dabbing with your banger nail.
- Attach your banger to your dab rig.
- Use your torch to heat the underside of the banger for about 20 seconds to a minute. The banger should start to glow red.
- Remove the torch and let your banger cool down long enough until it is no longer glowing.
- Use your dab tool to remove a piece of concentrate from its container.
- As you inhale through the mouthpiece, place your concentrate onto the banger.
- If you are using a carb cap, cover the banger with it and inhale the rest of your product.
Once you finish using your dab rig and banger, be sure to clean it off. Regularly cleaning it will ensure your banger (and all dabbing equipment) remain in good working order for as long as possible.
A banger nail is just a type of dab nail. It comes in three different styles, but each provides users with a bit of larger surface space to work with when dabbing. Quartz banger nails are the most popular among cannabis users, but glass, titanium, and ceramic bangers are also available.
Dabbing with a banger can be a challenge the first few times. This, combined with the potency of concentrates, means dabbing may not be the best option for novice cannabis users. Experienced users may have more success and be better prepared for the potency dabbing has.