Dabbing is one of the latest trends in the cannabis world. No, it’s not just a popular dance move; dabbing is also a way of smoking cannabis concentrates.
Though this method is relatively new, it has quickly gained traction among experienced cannabis users. It requires users to purchase and use specific equipment to create a powerful experience. One crucial piece of dabbing equipment: the torch.
Like many other cannabis products and accessories, you have options when it comes to purchasing a torch for your dabbing sessions. Our recommendation is to use a butane torch. Learn why below.
What Exactly Is Dabbing?
Let’s first take a look at what dabbing is and why so many cannabis users have started to consume cannabis through this method.
Dabbing is a way to consume cannabis concentrates (confusingly enough, these are also sometimes called dabs). It involves inhaling vaporized concentrates through a temperature heating method. The most common way to dab is using a dab rig.
Cannabis concentrates come in different forms, including:
These are all created by extracting specific compounds from the cannabis plant, typically by utilizing a solvent. The final texture these extracts have is what lends to their name.
Concentrates have become so popular for many reasons, but perhaps the most common one is the fact that they are potent. Concentrates can contain anywhere from 60 percent to 90 percent THC. Considering cannabis plants that are smoked generally range from 12 percent to 18 percent THC or so, this is a significant jump.
Because of its potency, a little bit of concentrate goes a long way. And its high THC content means dabbing is not the best option for those new to using cannabis.
What Is a Torch?
No, we aren’t talking about the light fixture on the walls of castles back in the day. When it comes to dabbing, a torch refers to the device used to create a flame that heats up the banger or dab nail when people dab.
Cannabis users have two options when it comes to the type of torch they use: butane or propane. While each is effective and offers its own pros and cons, butane torches are generally considered the better option.
Why Butane Torches Are Recommended
So, why are butane torches recommended? There are many reasons.
- Butane torches have less of an effect on flavor. This is thanks to the fact they have a cleaner flame. So, using butane will preserve the compounds and flavor profile of your concentrate.
- Butane torches have a better flame. Propane torches tend to have a narrow flame, whereas butane does not. This larger flame heats the nail more evenly, helping to prevent the concentrates from getting burnt.
- Butane torches offer better temperature control. Propane torches can burn far too hot, which can cause oxidation on nails that ends up ruining them. Though butane certainly burns hot, it is at a level that won’t damage your equipment and that offers a better experience.
- Butane torches are more portable. Butane torches are often smaller than propane ones, making them easier to travel with (though be cautious when traveling with any torch). Plus, when you store them in your home, butane torches take up less space.
Our Top Butane Torch Recommendations and What to Look for
As you shop for a butane torch, you may find yourself overwhelmed by the options available to you. Here’s what you should look for when choosing your butane torch:
- What safety features does it have? Butane torches run hot (700 degrees Fahrenheit and above); you’ll want to make sure they have child locks and temperature control options.
- What’s it made of? You don’t want to invest in a torch made of cheap material that will break easily. Instead, look for one that is solidly built. You may need to pay a bit more for a better quality torch.
- Is it easy for you to use? Butane torches come in different sizes; you’ll want to make sure you get one that is small enough for you to handle but large enough to do what you want it to.
- Is it easy to refill the tank? Your butane torch will eventually need a refill; check to see if it is simple to do and if it is easy to find replacements for it.
- What type of reviews has it gotten? Look online to see what previous purchasers have shared about their purchases and experiences using it. This can give you a better sense of its capabilities than simply reading the description.
Knowing all this, what torches do we recommend? Let’s take a look:
- Special Blue Butane Torch - Fury 5.5”. This butane torch offers an adjustable flame, allowing you total control over the heating of the nail. Its compact size and refillable tank make it ideal for many users.
- Blazer Big Buddy Torch. This lightweight butane torch is perfect for those who need to take it on the go. It offers 60 continuous minutes of burn time and an adjustable flame. Its turbo option allows you to boost your heat if desired.
- Blazer Big Shot Torch. Standing a little taller than the other options, this butane torch features additional safety features, such as a safety lock. It, too, can reach higher temperatures and has high-end finishes.
Be sure to check out our entire collection of butane torches. There is sure to be one that meets your needs. Plus, with more coming on the market, your options will only grow.
Dabbing has become a popular way for experienced cannabis users to smoke cannabis concentrates. These potent products offer a powerful high with just a little bit of product.
Dabbing requires the use of specific equipment such as a dab rig, a nail, and a torch. Though there are other types of torches out there, butane torches are the preferred and most often recommended option. If you need help choosing the right torch for you, please don’t hesitate to contact us.