DIY: How to Make a Homemade Bubbler Pipe
A bubbler pipe combines the portability of a regular hand pipe with water filtration offered by bongs. It’s like getting the best of both worlds in a compact version.
Not only can you take this device anywhere, but you can also enjoy a bit of percolation while on the go — something you won’t achieve with a standard-size bong.
And, if you find yourself under desperate conditions, only with your weed and some basic utensils, you can even make your own bubbler pipe.
That’s right — all you need is simple materials and tools you will find at home.
Off we go!
What Makes Bubblers Different from Regular Pipes?
Bubbler pipes have one feature that separates them from their standard counterparts. It’s the special chamber for holding water, the one that creates bubbles as you inhale — hence the name.
The water chamber is where filtration happens. When you draw the smoke from combusted weed, it travels to the chamber through the stem, passing through the water and leaving away harmful compounds.
This feature allows the user to enjoy the portability of a regular weed pipe along with cool and flavorful smoke provided by bongs.
Bubblers are also equipped with a carb, which is a little hole on the side of the pipe. You need to tap the carb with your thumb in order to allow the smoke to accumulate inside the chamber.
Once enough smoke has gathered in your bubbler pipe, you release the finger and gently inhale the cannabinoid goodness.
The Anatomy of a Bubbler Pipe
Before you get down to making a DIY bubbler pipe, we suggest that you familiarize yourself with the basic compartments.
Here’s what a bubbler pipe consist of:
Types of Bubbler Pipes
Bubblers are available in different designs, forms, and shapes.
The most common types of bubbler pipes include:
DIY: How to Make a Homemade Bubbler Pipe
Now that you’ve mastered the theory, it’s time to roll up your sleeves and get down to the practical part of making a homemade bubbler part.
In this section, we’ll show you how to do this step by step.
What You Need for a DIY Bubbler Pipe:
- 1 medium-sized pill bottle
- 1 metal socket
- 1 metal screen (you can get them from broken earphones)
- 6 mm metal drinking straw (you’ll use it as a downstem)
- A cutter or lighter for making holes in the bottle
- Food-grade sealant
Instructions for Making a Homemade Bubbler Pipe:
- Use your cutter/lighter to make a hole on top of the plastic cap of the pill bottle. It should be large enough to fit the 6mm metal socket without any gaps. Keep the cap sealed.
- Push the straw through the hole until it reaches about a quarter of an inch to the bottom of the bottle.
- Mark the metal straw at the top where you want to cut it. Use a hack saw for the job.
- Attach your metal drinking straw to the metal socket. Then, use your sealant to create an airtight seal where these two pieces meet together.
- Insert the straw again inside the pill bottle, adjusting the length as necessary. The socket shouldn’t be any lower than the top of the opening of the bottle.
- Finish your bubbler off by placing a metal screen inside the socket.
- Poke/burn another hole to make a carb — right below where your pill bottle starts to curve up to the opening. Make sure the hole is tight enough to wrap around the drinking straw without gaps.
- Push in the remaining straw, through that hole, starting with the smooth side. Make sure it’s 2-3mm inside the bottle.
- Cut the excess metal straw with your hacksaw.
- Push the rough side of the straw through the plastic, sealing with food-grade sealant — this will serve as your mouthpiece.
How to Use Your DIY Bubbler Pipe
Start with pouring water through the carb hole. Fill it until the water makes it to almost half of the bottle.
Now it’s time to make a pull test. Get rid of any excess water if you get splashed and wipe your homemade bubbler pipe dry, especially if your socket and wire got wet.
Pack the socket with your favorite strain. Then grab your DIY bubbler pipe and plug the carb hole.
Place your lips over the mouthpiece and ignite your herb. Release the carb as you drag smoke from your device. Stop when you get just enough smoke to comfortably inhale.
Lastly, keep the smoke in your lungs for a few seconds and exhale.
Final Thoughts on Homemade Bubbler Pipes
Congratulations! You’ve just learned how to make a homemade bubbler pipe using basic tools that everybody has at home.
There are many variations you can implement in your DIY bubbler — from water bottles if you want something bigger to plastic straws if you don’t have a metal one at hand. We just recommend metal straws to limit the amount of plastic involved in making your piece.
By the same token, this homemade bubbler pipe isn’t for long-term use. This is only for emergency situations. If you want a long-term smoking device, it’s best to invest in a glass bubbler pipe.
Have you ever made a DIY bubbler pipe?