What Is a Gravity Bong?
There’s a myriad of crazy ways to consume cannabis. A gravity bong is certainly one of them.
If you’ve never used a gravity bong for your smoking session, then you’ve missed out on an unforgettable experience, but worry not, this guide will help you make up for that.
If, however, smoking weed from a gravity bong is your go-to consumption method, you’re in for a real treat, because we also show you how to make a homemade gravity bong yourself.
Without further ado, let’s get straight into it!
What Is a Gravity Bong?
A gravity bong is a DIY smoking device that uses two empty plastic bottles to channel smoke through water and push it to the smoker’s lungs.
The whole science behind using a gravity bong involves submerging a small bottle with a “bowl” of weed on top in a larger bottle (or bucket) of water.
As you light the weed, you need to slowly draw the bottle out of the water to fill with smoke from the burning material. Then, you unscrew the lid, put your mouth over the top of the bottle, and push the bottle down to create pressure and let the gravity push the cannabis smoke straight into your lungs.
So, using a gravity bong is a straightforward process, but how do you make one? We’ll get to that point later in the article, but first, let’s talk about the two most common types of gravity bongs.
Different Types of Gravity Bongs
A gravity bong comes in two different styles. Cannabis smokers use this term to describe both a bucket bong and a waterfall bong. Here’s what you need to know about them.
The Bucket Gravity Bong
A bucket bong is usually made of the bottom half of a 2-liter bottle of water and the top half of a smaller plastic bottle. Actually, any size will work as long as the bottom is larger than the top.
The bottom half needs to be filled with water and the top half should come equipped with the bowl and mouthpiece. Even though a bucket bong is still a gravity bong, gravity doesn’t play much of a role in its function.
Instead, the high-pressure environment is created as the top bottle is forced into the bucket filled with water. Then, you just touch your weed with the flame of a lighter and smoke will be pulled into the bottle as you take it out of the bucket.
A bucket bong is also easier to clear because the pressure in the bucket forces all of the smoke out of the bottle and right into your lungs.
The Waterfall Gravity Bong
The other style in which you can make your gravity bong is called a waterfall bong. This consumption method only calls for using one large plastic bottle that uses gravity alone to deliver that milky smoke.
The top of a waterfall bong is made of both the bowl piece and the mouthpiece — similar to the bucket bong. The bottom consists of a standard bottle with a hole plugged at the bottom.
When it’s time to blaze, one person fills the bottle while the hole is plugged. Then, they put on the cap with a bowl full of cannabis. The other person needs to remove their finger from the hole so the gravity pulls all of the water out of your bong, just like a waterfall.
Just keep in mind to spark the lighter above the bowl before removing your finger from the hole. Then watch as smoke replaces the water, and inhale the milky goodness.
How to Make a Homemade Gravity Bong
We know you’ve been waiting to get to that part of our guide — it’s time for some practical workshops!
- Plastic bottle (any size will do, but 16-20 oz is the optimal size)
- Aluminum foil
- Sharp knife
- Poking device (e.g. skewer or large toothpick)
- Your favorite weed strain (at least one gram)
- Use the knife to cut the bottom of the smaller bottle. The larger piece of the bottle that remains, the more smoke will get into your gravity bong, so be careful not to go overboard with trimming.
- Fill your bucket with water.
- Grab the cap of your smaller bottle and use your knife once again to poke a hole through the bottle cap. It should be large enough to allow for clear airflow, but not so big that the foil with your weed will pass through into the water.
- Wrap aluminum foil all over the cap to create a small bowl for your weed. You can form a deeper bowl if you like, and the foil will keep your stash from falling into the water in the bucket. You may need to get rid of the excess foil and shape it precisely to avoid wasting cannabis.
- Once done, use your poking tool to make holes in the foil, but be careful not to tear it. You’ll need 3-5 holes for decent ventilation.
- Load your bowl with a weed strain of your choice. Don’t screw the cap onto the bottle yet.
- Submerge the top of your gravity bong in the bucket until just the cap stays above water. Slowly screw the cap back onto the bottle.
- Light the weed and slowly start pulling the smaller bottle upwards of the bucket while the bottle fills with smoke. If the smoke is leaving the bottle, make sure there are no holes or gaps in it, and that your cap is thoroughly screwed on.
- Once the bottle cannot hold more smoke, carefully unscrew the cap, take it off the bottle, and put your mouth over the mouthpiece.
- Now, slowly push the bottle back into the bucket. As the water reaches the bottle, the smoke will be funneled into your lungs.
The cannabis smoke inhaled through a gravity bong will be cooler thanks to the extra filtration. It will also go easier on your lungs, but at the same time, it will deliver a powerful dose of THC.
For best results, it’s important to prepare yourself ahead — just don’t rush the gravity bong if you’ve never smoked weed before — and don’t force yourself to get as much smoke to your lungs as possible. A gravity bong is capable of making even the most experienced weed aficionados cough, so it’s better to approach this smoking device with baby steps.
Have you ever smoked weed from a gravity bong?